Information for Community Organizations
On March 17th, the Government of Ontario announced that it is taking decisive action by making an order declaring an emergency under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. Under this decree, gatherings of 50 people or more are prohibited and the following establishments are required to close immediately:
- All churches and other faith settings;
- All facilities providing indoor recreational programs;
- All public libraries;
- All private schools as defined in the Education Act;
- All licensed child care centres;
- All bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery;
- All theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies;
- Concert venues; and
- Personal Service Settings
Further to this list, the Medical Officer of Health for Grey Bruce advised all private daycares to close.
On March 23rd, The Government of Ontario announced that only essential businesses or organizations could remain open.
Many community programs like shelters and food banks are continuing to operate. These spaces should implement infection control protocols including appropriate cleaning and disinfection strategies. Call 211 or visit 211.ca to find out about the resources available in your area.
Please note that the Grey Bruce Health Unit is asking individuals to limit congregating in groups while maintaining safe social distancing (the lower the number of people, the less the risk of transmission) in all settings.
Community-based measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada (From Government of Canada)
General Screening and Precaution Resources:
Community Food Programs
Community Care Agencies
Supporting Those Experiencing Homelessness