It is your choice. For many people, getting a COVID-19 vaccine is the safest choice. Talk to your healthcare provider about the vaccine.
Your health care provider will consider risks of COVID-19 during pregnancy like:
- An increased risk of ICU admission, need for mechanical ventilation and ventilatory support (ECMO), and death reported in pregnant women with symptomatic COVID-19 infection, when compared with symptomatic non-pregnant women.
- Pregnant patients with comorbidities such as obesity and diabetes are potentially at an even higher risk of severe illness.
The following resource may also help you when making a decision: COVID-19 Vaccination: Special Populations - Vaccination in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Patient Decision-Making Tool
Which COVID-19 Vaccine will I be offered?
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) recommends that a complete vaccine series with a mRNA COVID-19 vaccine be offered to pregnant individuals
- mRNA vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) are preferred for use in pregnant individuals due to recently published data from a study in the United States indicating the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are safe in pregnant women. Based on current evidence, Vaccine Induced Thromotic Thrombocytopenia does not seem to be associated with the use of mRNA vaccines.
- Pregnant individuals will receive an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at Grey Bruce clinics
Planning for your Vaccine during Pregnancy
Pregnant individuals are currently eligible to get their COVID-19 vaccine. Your health care provider can help you plan for when you should receive your vaccine. Please consider:
- COVID-19 vaccine can be administered in any trimester.
- Talk to your
healthcare provider about any questions you have about vaccines.
Additional Tools and Resources
Grey Bruce Health Unit COVID-19 Vaccine and Pregnancy Poster
COVID-19 Vaccination: Special Populations - Vaccination in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Patient Decision-Making Tool
SOGC Statement - COVID-19 Vaccination in Pregnancy
COVID-19 and Pregnancy: Information at your Fingertips - Prenatal Screening Ontario (bornontario.ca)
Should Pregnant People Get the COVID-19 Vaccine? - YouTube
COVID-19 Vaccines and Pregnancy - YouTube