Public Health prepares as Ontario reports cases of novel coronavirus
The Grey Bruce Health Unit has received notification of two cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Toronto related to an outbreak in Wuhan, China. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause respiratory illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases including viral pneumonia.
The Grey Bruce Health Unit is continuing to actively monitor the situation with provincial and national health agencies, stakeholders and community agencies.
The risk to residents in Grey and Bruce remains low. We are continually reassessing public health risk as new information becomes available.
The Grey Bruce Health Unit is working closely with local healthcare providers and other stakeholders. We issued an alert:
- Identifying the requirement of healthcare providers (including physicians, hospitals and laboratories) to report diseases caused by novel coronaviruses to the medical officer of health.
- Providing information on testing guidelines.
The usual safeguards to reduce the risk of respiratory diseases such as flu are also effective in preventing spread of coronavirus:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Use proper cough etiquette. Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. If you don't have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
- Stay at home if you are sick.
Residents who have returned from recent international travel and become ill with respiratory symptoms such as a cough and fever should report their travel history to any health professional, or any emergency room, before they visit. Please contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 for questions specific to an individual health concern.
More information about coronavirus is available at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov
For more information
Dr. Ian Arra
Medical Officer of Health and Chief Executive Officer
Grey Bruce Health Unit
519-376-9420 or 1-800-263-3456 ext. 1269