Information for Health Professionals
The Grey Bruce Health Unit plays a vital role in promoting immunization in our communities.
The Health Unit distributes publicly funded vaccines to community partners, assesses the immunization records of students enrolled in elementary or secondary school, and in childcare.
Immunization records for children are collected and kept in the Provincial Panorama repository, accessible to Health Care Providers and to parents (To access and share records, see instructions below).
Best Resources to share with Parents
Reporting Adverse Events Following Immunization
It is important for patients to know that some common mild reactions may occur following immunization. Common mild reactions to vaccine(s) may include redness, itching and/or rash at the injection site and less commonly, headache, dizziness and nausea may occur. Severe allergic reactions are very rare, however patients should be advised to seek medical attention immediately if they develop any of the following symptoms within 3 days of getting the needle: hives, swelling of the mouth and throat, trouble breathing, hoarseness or wheezing, high fever (over 40⁰C/104⁰F), convulsions or seizures, or any other serious reaction to the vaccine.
All “reactions” to an immunization that meet one of the Provincial Case Definitions for an Adverse Event Following Immunization should be reported to your local Public Health Unit. These reports are used to ensure the continued safety of vaccines available in Canada.
How to Report an Adverse Event Following Immunization
Vaccine records may be submitted to the Grey Bruce Health Unit by medical offices, or parents in a number of ways:
- Fax: (519)376-7782.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note: The maximum file size we can receive is 10Mb. Public Health staff will not receive emails that exceed this size, so information submitted would not get processed. Please save your files in a smaller size, or send files in separate emails to break up the file sizes.
- Phone: (519)376-9420 – Then press ‘2’ to go directly to nurse on-call
- Online: We have an online Immunization reporting system, ICON (Immunization Connect Ontario). This is a secure site. Follow the steps below:
- Have your health card number available
- Go to www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca
- Click on the needle icon
- Click “Tell us your immunization update here.”
- Follow the prompts.
Comfort Measures to Reduce Distress or Pain
For families with children and teens