Grey Bruce’s Top Doctor Recommends Wearing Face Coverings
The Province announced that beginning Friday June 12, we can now join in groups of up to 10 people. Additional regional approaches allows re-opening churches and places of worship and a list of businesses, including restaurants (outdoor patios), hair salons and malls, will be allowed to re-open.
Greater community engagement still requires we maintain physical distancing during day-to-day activities, including with those in group gatherings.
The Grey Bruce Health Unit reminds everyone that wearing a face covering is critical to decreasing the risk of COVID-19 spread when personal distancing is not possible.
Grey Bruce’s top doctor, Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Ian Arra, strongly recommends:
- Retail employees wear cloth masks or other non-medical face coverings
- Patrons at retail settings wear cloth masks or other non-medical face coverings
When worn properly, masks or face coverings can reduce the spread of infectious respiratory droplets by preventing many of your germs from leaving your mouth and nose. This is useful when physical distancing is not possible in public settings, such as when grocery shopping. Wearing a cloth mask or other non-medical face covering is an additional measure and not a substitute for physical distancing and hand washing.
Non-medical face masks or face coverings should:
- allow for easy breathing
- fit securely to the head with ties or ear loops
- maintain their shape after washing and drying
- be changed as soon as possible if damp or dirty
- be comfortable and not require frequent adjustment
- be made of at least 2 layers of tightly woven material fabric
- be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth
Disposable masks must be disposed of in a lined waste receptacle – DO NOT LITTER
Please visit our website at https://www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca/COVID-19/Additional-Resources for all guidance document that have been created, including all of those relevant to face coverings.
For More Information:
Dr. Ian Arra
Medical Officer of Health and Chief Executive Officer
To arrange to speak with Dr. Arra, please contact Drew Ferguson at:
519-376-9420 or 1-800-263-3456 ext. 1269