- The Stepping Out software includes information on pedometers and walking to get you started on your journey.
- A great way to increase steps is to have a walking route at your worksite or neighbourhood with the number of steps to complete the route posted.
- Each week can have a special theme:
Week 1 Winter Active/Summer Active
Week 2 Participate Don’t Hibernate
Week 3 Healthy Hearts
Week 4 Tobermory or Bust
You can accumulate bonus steps for participating in resistance training, bicycling and swimming.
- To calculate your bonus steps first determine the number of steps that you walk in 10 minutes. (Reset your pedometer to zero and walk 10 minutes and then record this number.)
- For every 10 minutes of activity at a moderate intensity add the number of steps that you take in 10 minutes to your overall walking step total.
- If your 10 minute step count is 1,000 then 20 minutes of continuous cycling at a moderate pace will provide an additional 2,000 steps.
When starting a walking program it is important to start slowly and gradually increase your number of steps per day over a number of weeks.
To be active, the goal is 10,000 steps per day for healthy adults.
For listings of outdoor activities in Grey and Bruce Counties visit Grey County Tourism and Bruce County Tourism.
Let’s make our workplace and community a healthier place to work and to live.
One step at a time!