Encouragement, building your child’s confidence and feelings of worth:
- focus on the strengths of your children
- focus on what’s good about the situation
- accept your children as they are
- have faith in your children
- let them know their worth (recognize their efforts)
- respect your children
- praise for things well done (encourage efforts, improvements)
- have realistic expectations
- avoid comparing
- avoid encouraging competition
- "I like the way you…"
- "I know you can…"
- "I appreciate that you…"
- "It looks like you worked very hard…"
- "You’re improving."